Friday, December 14, 2012

Pinto Beans in Red Wine Sauce


I've never been a big user of mock meats in my vegan cooking, I think because I started out as a cook studying macrobiotics, in which the simplest foods are always preferred.   Occasionally I'll turn to tempeh for its strong flavor and "meatiness", but there's always a bit of precooking and marinating involved.  For heartier dishes I like to use beans because of their flavor, texture, and protein content.  There's no duplicity with beans--what you see is what you get.

Today I wanted a hearty meat-and-potatoes type of dinner, so I cooked up some pinto beans, which are great at soaking up whatever flavors you cook them with, in red wine with vegetables.  Instead of adding tomato paste to my red sauce I kept it AR friendly, using a sweet potato puree for its rosy color and thick sweetness.  To give a compliment to this hearty sauce I added some cooked portabello mushroom caps (otherwise known as vegan steak).  With a bed of brown rice or pasta, this filling dish will put some meat on your bones!

Ingredients:

1 cup broth
1 large carrot or two smaller carrots sliced into rounds
1 large potato, cubed
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1 sweet potato, cubed
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp salt
2 large portabello mushroom caps, sliced into strips

Directions:

In a large covered saucepan, simmer carrots, potato, thyme, and bay leaves in broth for about 10 minutes until tender.

In a separate pot boil sweet potato until very soft and then mash finely or puree in food processor.  Set aside.

Add wine, beans, sweet potato puree, garlic, and salt to carrot and potato.  Return to a boil.

Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or more, until sauce reduces and becomes thick.

Meanwhile, cook mushrooms in a cast iron skillet over medium low heat, using a little olive oil if needed.  Cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin releasing their liquid.

Combine beans and mushrooms and serve over brown rice.  Garnish with a little fresh parsley if on hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment