Monday, August 27, 2012

Ayurvedic Lentils and Brown Rice (Kitchari)


Last night we went out to dinner to a French restaurant with friends who were visiting town.  Today we both felt the difference eating all that butter and cheese makes!  I also had mussels and frites, since these are two of my weaknesses.  So, today I made a recovery meal, something with ingredients that would help us detox (is this really a word?) and get back into balance. I made a version of an ayurvedic dish called Kitchari.  Kitchari is used in traditional Indian medicine, or ayurveda, for fasting—and sometimes I like to do a kitchari fast for a day and resume my usual diet thereafter.  I really do it because I like the way it tastes, and I think the medicinal spice and herb blend I’ve learned is delicious.  This is fasting for those who don’t want to feel deprived, and I definitely like to eat.  A kitchari fast is also easier for someone with AR, since dry fasting and juice fasting can be harsh on a sensitive stomach.  Most of the recipes I’ve seen for kitchari call for mung beans, which need soaking, and because this was last minute I used dried green lentils, which cook up nicely in 30 minutes.  If you have time to soak mung beans overnight, you should try it because they work beautifully here too.  They have a more delicate taste than lentils do.

I served the kitchari with a side of steamed greens but this is an unneeded embellishment.  I also use my own vegetable stock (‘cause when you start making it yourself you want it in everything!) but water would totally work instead.  To make it fat free leave out the olive oil and it’s just as good.  Best of all (and you thought it couldn't get better, right?), it's even more tasty when reheated.



Kitchari

Ingredients:

1/2 tsp ground ginger (or 1 T fresh chopped ginger)

2 T shredded coconut

handful chopped fresh cilantro

1/4 cup vegetable broth (or water)

3 bay leaves

2 T olive oil

1 cup green lentils

1 cup long grain brown rice

4 cups vegetable broth (or water)

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/4 tsp turmeric

1/4 tsp cardamom

pinch of salt and black pepper or to taste

Directions:

1. Put ginger, coconut, cilantro, and broth in food processor (or blender) and liquefy.  Set aside.

2. Heat a heavy saucepan over medium heat.  When hot place bay leaves in dry and let sit about minute until they become aromatic.

3. Add oil, lentils, and brown rice to saucepan and mix well, coating everything thinly with oil.  Mix in ginger-cilantro-coconut mixture.

4. Immediately add broth and spices, bring to boil and then let simmer for 35-40 minutes, making sure the rice is fully cooked and adding more broth if needed.

5. Serve hot and garnish with cilantro if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment